History of the Nativity Church

The Church of the Nativity is one of the first Christian Churches, built in the place where Jesus Christ was born.

It marks the beginning of Christianity and is one of the holiest spots. The original basilica church was commissioned by Emperor Constantine in 327 and completed in 339 A.D. The Church was destroyed by the Samaritans in the 6th century and then re-built in the same century during the reign of Justinian with further alterations.

Since medieval times the Church developed into a complex of religious buildings in an extraordinary architectural assemble run by the Greek Orthodox Church, the Custody of Holy Land and the Armenian Church, all under the provisions of the Status Quo of the Holy Places as agreed upon by the treaty of Berlin (1878).